Al-Maqla Al-Hodeidi [Archives:1998/10/Culture]
(A very popular meal in the coastal areas especially Al-Hodeida).
1. Bagha Fish (medium sized fish with very thin skin) – 4 fish
2. Tamarind – 6 dates
3. Hot red pepper – (this kind of pepper is sold dried in Yemen) – mixed with about one cup of water
4. Spices (cumin + black pepper)
5. Onion – 2
6. Garlic – 6 cloves
7. Vegetable oil – 1/6 liter.
* Peel the garlic and chop it.
* Soak the tamarind in water and leave it aside.
* Wash the small fish carefully both from outside and inside.
* Heat the frying pan for half a minute.
* Pour vegetable oil in the pan and wait until it becomes hot enough * Put the chopped onion and stir it continuously until it becomes golden brown.
* Add the already ground hot pepper, the garlic and the spices (stirring slowly and carefully).
After picking out the seeds of the tamarind and soaking it well in water, pour the liquid in the pan.
* After 5 minutes, add salt (of course with stirring).
* Wait for another 5 minutes and then your meal will be ready.
Note: This meal is usually eaten with rise or bread.