Al-Osbu Blocked for 8 Hours & ‘Human Rights’ Still Banned [Archives:2001/18/Front Page]
The Security Office in Sana’a banned circulation of the Al-Osbu newspaper last Thursday for 8 hours under the pretext of publishing a news item about the government agenda two days before it was presented to the parliament. “I don’t think this was the only reason for blocking distribution of the newspaper,” said Hassan Al-Odeini Editor-in-Chief of Al-Osbu; He said that the paper has for the last several weeks been under pressure against publishing news that the security office considered contrary to the interests of the new government.
The newspaper, as well as its distributor Talal Al-Alimi and its representative Wadhah Al-Madhaji were released following a phone call between Mr. Mahboub Ali, Chairman of the Yemeni Journalists Syndicate (YJS) and Prime Minster, Mr. Bajammal.
On the other hand, the Ministry of Information seized the Human Rights Newspaper last week which is published by Nushataa Human Rights NGO under the pretext that the Ministry had not been notified before. The Nushattaa Organization condemned the event and described it as a violation of the Law of Journalism which gives every licensed party or organization the right to issue a newspaper.