As they fly to Jordan for treatment:Three doctors tell their stories [Archives:2003/647/Front Page]
Mohammed bin Sallam
The three injured doctors who were attacked in Abyan on June 20 by armed men affiliated to the Aden-Abyan Islamic Army left the military hospital in Sana'a to Jordan on July 1 for receiving treatment there.
Those doctors were Dr. Ahmed al-Bajli, Khaled Ahmed Mohammed Ashameri, and Yahya Ahmed Yahya al-Kuhlani.
The three have expressed their deep gratitude to Brigadier General, Ali Mohammed Naji, manager of the Military Hospital in Sana'a for his role to limit their sufferings and tribulations.
They also expressed their gratitude to President Ali Abdullah Saleh for his role in giving his clear orders to have them treated abroad.
To know more about their mission and how they were taken aback by the militants in Huttab area, Yemen Times met them at Sanaa Airport just before leaving for Jordan and the following is what they have said.
Dr. Ahmed al-Bajli, a medical surgeon, 42, said, “We were taken aback by a group of armed men in an isolated area on our way to give humanitarian medical assistance to the helpless people in Huttab village which belongs to Abyan governorate.
We all were unarmed, except one of us who had a small pistol, when armed men started firing heavily at us for half an hour.
We did not resist and waited until the attack ends. Then, instead of receiving first aid and emergency medical care, we were labeled as 'dogs' spying for the American intelligence and that we had come only to chase those militants. We were left bleeding and I had been riddled with several shots in my body
Two bullets penetrated my right hand and two others struck my left leg. We pleaded to the attackers using religion, values, and norms to give us a helping hand, but we were blundered and left bleeding for about two hours. Seven people were injured and the armed men threatened us not to come to their areas again.
That was the behavior of those butchers and thugs. What adds insult to injury is that those people are claiming to be faithful Muslims. Islam is far from what they did and they have nothing to do with it at all.
Khaled Ahmed Mohammed, 22, was supposed to get married this month but unfortunately he has lost one of his kidneys as a result of two shots that penetrated them. He described them as “renegades” and “highwaymen”.
“We started moving at about half past seven on Saturday June 21 from our residence located at Ga'ar area in Abyan governorate. We were then intercepted by a car carrying two persons. Then we bypassed them and continued but realized the car was following us. Two bullets were shots in the air when we reached a route between two plateaus.
Gunfire and bazooka's projectiles were showered heavily towards us for about half an hour. The number of attackers was between 30 to 50.
Among the attackers seemed to be Yemeni Afghan militants from different Yemeni regions talking different accents, but the majority of them were probably from Ga'ar area.”
Mr. Khaled Ahmed has appreciated the efforts exerted to assist him and his colleagues.
“We are grateful to the leading role played by the head of the medical services department of the Defense Ministry for easing our pain and frustrations.”
On his part, Mr. Yahya Ahmed Yahya al-Kuhlani, 22, lost his left arm and now lives in a state of frustration as his psychological state is dreadful due to attack and its consequences. He has spent only two years in military service.
Yahya couldn't refrain from shedding tears when describing the catastrophe and bitter experience he went through.
He became a disabled person while he was fulfilling his duty at the military service.
“I have nothing to say and my affliction has no condolence. Above all, I will not forget what has been done against us by those who call themselves 'Mujahedeen'. They are just highwaymen and cold-blooded murderers,” he noted.
Informed sources pointed out that a number of Arabs as well as foreigners may have taken part in the recent attack against the medical caravan in Huttab area.
Three people have been identified, one from Afghanistan, the second from Saudi Arabia and the third from Jordan.
According to the sources, nationalities of other militants haven't yet been confirmed.