Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

BBC Trio Acquitted [Archives:1998/23/Local News]

archive
June 8 1998

The 3-man BBC crew accused of reporting and filming illegally in Mareb were acquitted on Sunday, 7 June, by Judge Haykal Ahmed Othman of the Urgent Affairs Court in Sanaa.
The Prosecutor-General was unable to provide enough evidence to indict Rageh Omaar, Robin Barnwell and Frank Smith of the BBC.
Following three short sessions, Judge Othman gave his verdict of acquittal and ordered “the immediate return of their tapes, passports and equipment”.
“I feel very proud not because I won the case, but because the court ruling is a step forward in the judicial reform program in Yemen,” announced a jubilant Sheikh Tareq Abdullah, the counsel for defense.
Hassan Abu Al-Ula, a BBC reporter currently visiting Yemen, said, “Today’s court ruling is a great victory for press freedom and democracy in Yemen.”
“We are all very happy to be freed by a just court that reflects the independence of the judiciary in this country,” said Rageh Omaar, glad to have his precious BBC equipment back.
The trio plan to fly out immediately after receiving their stuff.

——
[archive-e:23-v:1998-y:1998-d:1998-06-08-p:./1998/iss23/ln.htm]

Created with Raphaël 2.1.2