First Yemeni polling center launched [Archives:2006/909/Local News]
SANA'A, Dec. 31 ) After a long one-and-a-half-year waiting period, the Yemen Polling Center (YPC) has received its registration certificate from the Ministry of Social Affairs. The YPC is the first non-governmental organization specializing in scientific research, polls, surveys, public opinion and questionnaires.
YPC president Hafez Al-Bukari said, “We will try to create strong awareness among people and decision makers concerning public opinion issues.” Al-Bukari, who recently resigned as General Secretary of the Yemeni Journalists Syndicate (YJS) in protest of the new draft press law, added, “We aim to contribute in building a free, open and democratic society by investigating, exposing and challenging the diverse social, cultural, political and economic circumstances in our country.”
The YPC officially launched its activities amid huge differences between the media and governmental and opposition research center results concerning sensitive political issues. In this regard, YPC official documents state that it objectively and professionally tackles all issues with complete efficiency and is not subjected to any external influence. The center's expertise and professionalism will provide accurate results on crucial issues and avoid any future doubt in public opinion results. Numerous professional journalists, academics, researchers and volunteers currently administrate the center.
Planned projects of the Yemen Polling Center include:
– Conducting a wide-range poll on Yemeni electoral registration procedures
– Assessing electoral awareness among Yemenis
– Establishing the first Yemeni media electoral monitor
– Launching the first Yemeni website specializing in polling and public opinion issues
– Offering consistent polls showing Yemeni attitudes toward government performance
– Adopting a field study showing the attitude of government employees toward wages strategy
– Providing training courses on scientific methods used when conducting field research and opinion polls
– Organizing field research on obstacles facing investors in Yemen
– Preparing a wide-range study on difficulties faced by Yemeni immigrants when visiting Yemen
– Conducting an opinion poll on society's attitude toward Yemen's political parties.