Second conference on environment and natural resources concluded [Archives:2003/635/Reportage]
The Second Conference on Environment and Natural Resources, sponsored by Taiz University in Sofetil Hotel, was concluded last Thursday. The 3-day conference discussed 143 research and scientific studies focusing on five main premises:
– Natural Resources and their economies
– Environment Pollution and its effects
– Yemeni Environment and Mechanisms of its development
– Media, Education and Environment Management
– Human Garbage and its Utilization
Dr. Hussain Al-Iryani, president of the university, told the Yemen Times that : “Proceeding from our comprehension of the university function for serving the society and developing it in interest of environmental development we hold this conference every three years in expression of our interest in protection of environment and fighting pollution. We try to bring together various environment researches and study them so as to obtain material that helps in tackling the environment issues in the country and hence provide reference information for future use.”
One of the participants in the University Dr. Mahmoud Jaber Morsi, the vice rector of Asyoot University in Egypt, told the Yemen Times that universities have a great role amongst the youth and students. And it has great influence with regards to environmental issues. Conducting such conferences reflects the positive role of Taiz University and its connection with the society. Dr. Mansour also mentioned that Yemen is a rich country when it comes to environmental resources and it has great geological, animal and agricultural variety that is rare and should be protected.
Minister of Tourism & Environment; Mr. Abdulmalik Al-Iryani in the inauguration session of the conference emphasized the importance of stopping deterioration in the Yemeni environment and the misuse of natural resources. He added that the significance of such conference is that it targets the educated and intellectual segment of the society, this segment which is hoped to make the difference and to actually bring out the change through scientific research.
Dr. Ahmed Alwan Al-Madhaji vice president of the university told the Yemen Times that this is a conference that aims at facing and studying the urgent and critical problems threatening the Yemeni environment and the world as a whole. “That is why researchers from around the world participate in the conference such as Holland, Germany and Arab countries” He said.
The conference concluded with a number of recommendations and suggestions which targeted the natural resources management and awareness of the society.
The conference came up with the following recommendations:
– Putting a stress on the significance of establishing plant epidemic eradication center as well as establishing plant genesis bank.
– Taking an interest of the institutional basic infrastructure and scientific researches in the field of environment.
– Putting an end to the random digging of well and improving the environment-related legislation affairs.
– Preserving the unique architecture of the Yemeni houses.
– Calling for setting up a national committee for the food security.
– Paying an attention to sewerage system and holding an annual planting trees campaign.