Al-Mithaq [Archives:2007/1054/Press Review]
Monday, May 21
– President Saleh inaugurates, lies foundation stone of 743 projects in Ibb
– Yemeni expatriates abroad receive access to transfer subscriptions electronically
– Artistic Eve Party in Sana'a celebrate the 17th Anniversary of the National Unity
– Artistic tourist exhibition for Yemen in the French city of Lenie Lauribo
– Saleh announces suspension of military operations against Sa'ada rebels
– Military source: Military operations suspended to give a chance to the rebels to surrender
A military source in the advancing troops, which are on duty, in the restive province of Sa' ada, north of Yemen, confirmed that upon instructions from Ali Abdullah Saleh, President of the Republic and Higher Commander of the Armed Forces, the military operations were suspended in different areas of Sa' ada to give the chance to the rebels to surrender on the 17th Anniversary of the National Unity, the weekly reported.
In a statement to the 26 September.net, affiliated with the Defense Ministry, the source confirmed that units from the combined military and security forces in Sa' ada showed strong commitment to the instructions in order to give a chance to the terrorists to surrender and hand their heavy and medium-size weapons to the concerned authorities in conformity with the Defense Council's decision and the religious scholars' statement.
The source confirmed that troops are ready to strongly react to any mobilization of rebels, welcoming the courageous stance of military and security troops who bravely confront the rebellion and the acts of vandalism exercised by the terror elements. He lashed out at the rebels for assaulting government troops overnight and displacing innocent women and children.