Al-Wahda [Archives:2007/1076/Press Review]
Wednesday, August 8
– Amran rockslide kills two children
– Anti-Corruption Law contains texts contravening constitutional court, Yemeni Lawyers Syndicate says
– Yemen to participate in union functions scheduled to take place next September and November in Syria and India
– Committee formed to resolve issues of scholars in Morocco
– Arab Cup Championship to kick off on Friday
– Court sets November 7 as date for delivering verdict against terror suspects
The State Security Court set November 7 as the date for delivering its verdict in the case of three dozen Yemenis accused of planning or carrying out attacks for Al Qaeda, the weekly reported. During Monday's hearing in Sanaa, the prosecution demanded the maximum penalty – which would translate into 10 to 15 years in jail – for each of the 33 suspected militants.
The newspaper added that the inmates are accused of “forming an armed group with the aim of perpetrating criminal acts by attacking foreign residents in Yemen, the clients of a hotel and causing explosions targeting vital installations,” according to the charge sheet. They had also “prepared explosives, booby-trapped cars and weapons” for other attack.”
The prosecution says the group, accused of being members of the Yemeni branch of Al Qaeda, launched an abortive twin attack in September 2006 on an oil refinery at Marib, 170km east of the capital Sanaa, and petrol storage tanks at the Dhabba terminal operated by the Canadian firm Nexen in southeastern Hadramut province.
The defense told the court, which handles cases affecting state security, that the defendants had been coerced into making false confessions.