Rai [Archives:2003/626/Press Review]
4 March 2003
– Banihushaish chieftains threaten the state
– Western embassies complete evacuation of their nationals in the coming days
– Information offered by bin Shaiba led to capture Khalid Sheik
– Microsoft prepares to open office in Sanaa
– Researchers of Studies Centre stage open strike
On human rights columnist Khalid al-Harwaji says it is nice to have awareness on human rights present in Yemeni legislation and international charters as the axis of the first national symposium on human rights because it is so important that the citizen comprehends his and the others' rights.
The writer agrees with the prime minister's opinion in the symposium when he called for spreading awareness programs t the countryside, schools, prisons and markets so that all segments of people become aware of their human rights. But he says that time has not come for such presentation. Before activation of such orientation and understanding, this should be comprehended by those entrusted with implementation of laws and legislation. They are the first who violate human rights and sometimes intentionally. Those in charge of applying laws are in need in the first place of awareness on this matter than the ordinary citizen at present.