Ali Abdullah Saleh PGC Candidate for the 1999 Presidential Elections of Yemen:
– Born in 1942 at Beit Al Ahmar village, Sanhan of the Governorate of Sanaa.
– Received his studies at the villages Kuttab small religious school.
– Joined the armed forces in 1958 and continued his studies and developed his general knowledge while serving as a soldier.
– Joined the cadet officers school of the armed forces in 1960.
– He was among the cadet army officers who prepared for and participated in the revolution.
– In the first months after the revolution he was promoted in appreciation of his efforts and his courage in defense of the revolution and the republic in various regions.
– He participated in the battles for the defense of the revolution and the republic in several regions of Yemen.
– In 1963 he was promoted to 2nd lieutenant.
– At the end of the same year, he was wounded in one of the battles in defense of the revolution in the eastern area of Sanaa city.
– In 1964, he joined the armored battalion school to specialize in armored brigades.
– Following his graduation, he returned to contribute to the defense of the revolution and the republic in many areas of Yemen. He was exposed to gunfire and was injured more than once. However, he displayed great courage in all battles he participated in. His leading role in battles and awareness of national issues were noticeable.
– He was one of the heroes in the 70 Days War when the capital Sanaa a was under siege.
– He occupied many senior military posts including :
1- Commander of an armored company.
2- Commander of an armored battalion.
3- Chief of staff of an armored brigade.
4- Director of armaments for the armored forces.
5- Commander of an armored brigade and commander of the Mandab sector.
6- Commander of the Taiz region and commander of the Khalid Ibn Al Walid camp ( 1975- 1978 ).
7- He represented the country alone and within delegations in many official talks and visits to sisterly and friendly countries.
8- He occupied the posts of member of the temporary presidential council, deputy general commander and chief of staff after the assassination of president Ahmed Al Ghashami on June 24, 1978.
– He was elected president of the republic and general commander of the armed forces by the Peoples Constituent Assembly on July 17, 1978.
– On September 17, 1979 he was promoted to the rank of Colonel with the unanimous approval of all leaderships and members of the armed forces in appreciation of his great efforts for the building and development of the armed forces and security apparatus.
– He was granted the Republican Medal by the Peoples Constituent Assembly in appreciation of his efforts and services of the nation on September 22, 1979.
– He was elected secretary general of the Peoples General Congress on August 30, 1982.
– He was re-elected on May 23, 1983 as president of the republic and general commander of the armed forces by the Founding Peoples Council.
– He was re-elected on July 17, 1988 as president of the republic and general commander of the armed forces by the elected Shoura Council.
– He was granted the honorary MA. in military sciences in 1989 by the Command and Staff Academy.
– On May 21st, 1990, the Shoura Council was unanimous on granting him the rank of General in appreciation of his great efforts in the re-unification of the nation and the establishment of the Republic of Yemen.
– On May 22 nd, 1990, he hoisted the flag of the Republic of Yemen in the city of Aden, thus declaring the re-unification of the country and ending once and for all the past state of division. On that same day he was elected the chairman of the presidential council.
– He was elected for the chairmanship of the presidential council by the elected parliament on October 16, 1993.
– He resisted all attempts to disintegrate the nation and firmly resisted the secessionist conspiracy. He led the battles for the defense of the unity and protection of democracy and constitutional legitimacy during the war period and following the secessionists declaration, who waged the war of summer 1994 until the great victory was achieved for Yemen unity and will of the Yemeni people on July 7, 1994.
– He was elected president of the republic by the council of deputies on October 1st, 1994 following constitutional amendments endorsed by the council on September 28, 1994.
– On December 24 th 1997, the council of deputies approved granting him the rank of Marshal in appreciation of his national and historic role in building the new Yemen.
– He exerted all his efforts for the sake of realizing a comprehensive developmental revival in Yemen. Among the most prominent strategic accomplishments achieved under his leadership are re-building the great Marib Dam, extraction of oil and gas, realizing a huge agricultural development and creating the free zone in Aden.
– He is the founder of the modern Yemeni state based on democratic, plurality, freedom of the press, freedom of opinion and counter – opinion, respect of human rights and the principles of peaceful exchange of power.
– He is married and has a number of children, the eldest son is Ahmed.
Presidential Election Program
Allah in His Holy Book calls on Muslims to stick to grouping and do not resort to division and remember Allahs grace who made you brothers after you were enemies, and says that the honor of hoisting the banner of Allah on earth was feared by heavens, earth and mountains and accepted by the human being..
And peace by upon the messenger of Allah his family and all his Sahaba.
Our Yemeni nation is witnessing this year one of its most important political events, which represents a prominent and qualitative turnover along the path of deepening its unionist and democratic march. It is the peoples free and direct elections of the president of the country which will be held for the first time in our national history according to the constitution which stated that president of the country is to be elected for two terms each stretching for five years. It has registered a turning point and a very important step toward bolstering the democratic process and crystallizing the principle of peaceful exchange of power. It has also led the people into the 21st century with confidence, bright hope, solid with and belief that Yemeni future will be more developing, modernizing and integrated with changes of the age in addition to its political, economic, social, cultural and scientific challenges. The free and direct elections, on all levels, represent an embodiment of the peoples free will and an execution of the constitutional principle which affirms that the people are the owner of the authority and it source. Elevating this process to the level of direct and competitive elections for the presidency clearly indicates that the doctrine of peaceful circulation of power, which is the highest rank in a democratic process, had become a de facto situation and not merely hopes, dreams or imaginations.
All this proved that the general political system in Yemen has matured to pave the way for such an important and qualitative event in the history of Yemen, to continue the building of the modern Yemeni state, the state of institutions, law and order, the state of the Yemeni human who aspires towards elevation to the rank of advanced and modern political societies.
The Yemeni people today, through indulging in the experiment and new leap, affirm that their awareness and practice of shoura and democracy were in extension of an old heritage called for the Islamic Sharia.
Democracy is our model means toward building institution bodies, deepening national unity and achieving comprehensive development.
Historic march of the political life of Yemen ever since the era of Shebans until present state of blessed unity near the end of the second millennium indicate that the system of shoura and democracy had displayed that the Yemeni people always rejected tyrannical and dictatorial regimes. It also affirmed that popular struggle is based on freedom as an essential right, since freedom is an instinct that Almighty Allah had set in humans.
Ali Abdullah Saleh has proven in all his stands, commitments and pledges that he would never alienate himself from the peoples march, who believes in the Islamic creed and tolerant sharia and who defends their national unity, social justice and economic development. He has also been struggling for the defense of democracy, public and individual freedoms, human rights, security, stability and social peace.
The keenness of Ali Abdullah Saleh President of the Republic and Chairman of the PGC, on consolidation the democratic march and peaceful circulation of power was reflected in his adoption of the constitutional amendments limiting the Presidents term of office to only constitution was not merely meant as a democratic commitment for holding general elections and direct presidential elections on scheduled legal and constitutional time. But rather, it was a real belief that democracy was an integrated values, rights, duties and mechanics in a state power whose is emanated from the people. It is a state in which doctrines of freedom, equality and justice among people prevail over their inter-relations along with relations between its various social and political organizations side by side with doctrines of social cooperation and peace.
All the above – mentioned is linked to protection of national unity within the framework of the abidance of all individuals and groups by the constitution, law and general discipline. Such a trend would, no doubt, provide an elevating feeling of national responsibility in addition to spreading confidence among all individuals, social organizations and political groupings towards the future of the nation and its political, social and economic regime.
This is the way Ali Abdullah Saleh thinks and works and along that path he walks for the sake of asserting the basics of life, democratic practice, institutional unity and achieving comprehensive development. Many great historical accomplishments were achieved under the leadership of Ali Abdullah Saleh, President of the Republic and chairman of the PGC along the past 21 years in cooperation with all benevolent national forces. As a result, many important and strategic steps were realized on all national, political, economic and developmental levels.
Prominent among which are :
First : The Restoration of Yemeni unity and affirming constitutional legitimacy as a great of historic accomplishment that embraced the dream of the Yemeni generations. It also reflected their national and social ambitions and aspirations of a safe and stable future that is full of development and progress.
Second : Finding the institutional construction of the modern Yemeni state in addition to asserting security and stability, and achieving comprehensive revival in the country.
Third : Stressing the democratic march, making it one of the stable foundations of national unity, human rights and peaceful circulation of power.
Fourth : Walking firmly along the road of comprehensive economic and social development and starting the implementation of important strategic projects topped by :
– Exploring and exploiting oil and gas.
– Building the basic cornerstone of the free zone in Aden.
– Constructing roads, harbors and airports in their capacity as the economys main infrastructure.
– Developing social services in the fields of public and academic education, along with medical services, and spiritual and cultural build up.
– Upgrading transport, communications, information, culture, tourism and trade services.
– Establishing electricity,water and sewerage installations along with granting increased concern to health environment and municipal services.
– Setting appropriate demographic policies, catering for maternity and childhood and paying attention to family issues in its capacity as the first nucleus of the society.
– Creating a social security network to provide work opportunities, achieving social integration, elevating peoples living conditions and consolidating their participation is economic, social and cultural development.
– Giving concern to tourism, hotel services and granting necessary facilities to uplift tourism services.
– Encouraging women and urging them to participate political, economic and social development.
Fifth : Re-structuring the economy and introducing structural and financial reforms as an important step towards renaissance and constant development.
– Achieving major and tangible successes in economic and financial reforms and restructuring, in addition to providing more investment opportunities domestically and international and boosting confidence in Yemeni economy.
– Halting economic deterioration, establishing financial and monetary balance and protecting national currency from collapse.
– Providing the principle of economic freedom, increasing competition chances, fighting all forms of monopoly and working for abolishing all financial and administrative corruption.
– Developing investment laws and organizing dealings with the private sector to attract more national, Arab and foreign capital to invest in all sectors.
Sixth : Realizing administrative reforms as an important step towards institutionalizing a modern state.
– Affirming the doctrine of administrative and financial decentralization and working for applying the system of local rule.
– Reforming the civil service body and keeping the public jobs neutral and away from any partisan or political impacts in addition to linking between rights and duties, and balancing authority with responsibility.
– Stressing respect of laws, regulations and doctrines of justice and equality between citizens in addition to supporting the basic rule of reward and punishment in evaluation of performance.
– Highlighting transparency in dealings and boosting role of observation on all levels.
Seventh : laying down principled basis for reforming the judiciary reaching to social peace and to provide security and stability in addition to the doctrine of the supremacy of law and order.
– Setting a comprehensive program for judicial reform.
– Controlling public security, combatting anti- religious manners and anti- social traditions, and underlining doctrines of tolerance and human detente.
– Fighting all forms of terrorism and rejecting fanaticism in addition to constant call for dialogue, and fraternal and civilizational understanding.
– Protecting the basic human rights and setting legal guarantees for them.
– Providing the principle of total independence of the judiciary, and safety and integrity of the judges. Protecting the citizens against oppression and judicial corruption, for justice is the basis of power and an insurance of stability in various dealings.
Eighth : Building the armed forces and security apparatus on appropriate national basis and guaranteeing their allegiance to national belief, safeguarding constitutional legitimacy and protection of national sovereignty, law and order.
Ninth : Adopting a balanced foreign policy that is based on frankness, truth, equality and mutual interest in addition to providing chances for peace, security and stability in the region and the world at large.
– Pursuing a foreign policy based on non-intervention in others internal affairs and respecting peoples will in choosing political systems.
– Rejecting the use or threatening force in settling differences and resorting to dialogue and peaceful solutions in addition to affirming laws and respecting international legitimacy.
– Backing the national legitimate rights of the Arab people in liberty, independence and full national sovereignty.
– Contributing seriously in providing conditions of peace, security and stability in the region.
– Establishing relations based on mutual benefits, balanced development and increasing opportunities of a just partnership in all economic, social and cultural fields.
– Supporting the non- aligned movement and regional and international organizations seeking to back up national development, improving conditions for international merger and boosting positive dialogue for the sake improving globalization in its capacity as an important phenomenon of the new world order.
– Asserting serious endeavors for international cooperation in environment protection, combatting terrorism and drug trafficking, elimination of mass destruction weapons, fighting organized crime and rejecting all forms of religious and racist fanaticism, and racial discrimination.
– Affirming total bias to human rights issues, public freedoms, freedom of the press and constant backing to social institutions and non- governmental organizations.
The Elections Program
Consolidating the Building of the Modern Yemeni State
National Unity, Democracy and Comprehensive
Development are our Means to Progress
This program, which we present to the people, is the summary of the mature experience of Ali Abdullah Saleh in the field of national, unionist, democratic and developmental arena. It is the national program for the upcoming stage that calls for right, justice and peace and for development, progress and welfare.
The is could be only feasible through the following :
First : Bolstering the institutional building of the modern, democratic Yemeni state, the state of justice, law and order, and social justice.
1- Deepening democratic march in the countrys political life and in various institutions.
2- Making humans and public freedoms the basic aim in practice through protection dignity, blood, honor and money of the Yemeni citizens.
3- Affirming popular participation in governing the country by applying the local rule which is based on decentralization.
4- Continuing with the administrative reform program and executing the civil service law regarding the public jobs in addition to ensuring their neutrality and elevating qualitative performance of employees.
5- Re- structuring the government and public sector to guarantee more competence and erase corrupt practices.
6- Establishing balance and harmony between the authority and the responsibility in addition to setting up measures for efficiency.
7- Attaching special concern to popular non- governmental activity so as to serve as a popular back up to economic, social, cultural and political development.
8- Granting syndicated, unions, societies and non- government at organizations full freedom of organizing themselves and of working on voluntary and democratic basis in addition to helping them in performing their social and humanitarian missions.
9- Elevating freedom of the press and ensuring freedom of expression to its noblest goals.
10- Giving special attention to family, childhood and women including their legitimate rights as stipulated in the constitution.
11- Implementing the document for judicial reform in addition to developing all courts and public prosecution to boost respect of the judiciary. Affirming neutrality and independence of the judiciary, making it one of the basic factors in the institutional building of the country.
12- Improving status of jails, detention facilities and reform institutions in their capacity as rehabilitation centers.
13- Developing the system of commercial arbitration for the sake of stabilizing dealing and boosting confidence in it to serve market economy and encouraging local and foreign investments.
14- Paying more concern to maintaining efforts for the sake of building the qualitative ability of the armed forces and security apparatus to bolster the countrys defense capability. The should be firm commitment to protecting constitutional legitimacy and banning partisan activities within them to ensure their allegiance to Allah, the nation and the revolution.
15- Upgrading level of training and introducing modern technology in the military and security fields to meet development requirements in armaments.
16- Consolidating procedures and activating laws dealing with means of stabilizing security and stability in the society in addition to organizing the phenomenon of carrying weapons and fighting terrorism. Combatting any attempt to infringe on security of citizens and tourists since such deviations are rejected by all heavenly creeds and Yemeni traditions.
Second : Making constant and comprehensive development a continuous national struggle, and real partnership between the state and the citizen within and outside the nation, and between Yemen and the world.
1- Allocating development efforts for the sake of elevating the Yemeni citizens living conditions in addition to mobilizing material and financial potential so as to use them in an ideal manner.Finding a large base for small investment ventures and creating a stock exchange to develop the countrys free economic system.
2- Expanding and strengthening basic and economic infrastructure especially the building of roads, airports, harbors, electricity generation stations, irrigation installations, industrial and storage areas, coastal and fishing service centers, air and sea travel services, telecommunications and developing internal and external trade transactions.
3- Paying more concern to public education and vocational and professional training and rehabilitation through adopting a national educational strategy.
4- Attaching special importance to demographic and environmental issues in their capacity as vital questions of economic, social and humanitarian dimensions.
5- Confronting the issue of water shortage seriously and drafting a national strategy to run water resources along with continuing the construction of dams and water reserves through integrating official and public efforts.
6- Setting national priorities for promoting important economic resources represented in oil and gas, tourism, fishery, agriculture along with expanding the system of free zones and improving Yemeni islands.
7- Giving more importance to health programs and catering for maternity and childhood, preventive programs and improving the citizens health awareness. Expanding in construction of specialized hospitals and attracting national and foreign medical efficient cadres to work in them to limit treatment abroad in addition to expanding in construction of clinics and health services in all areas of the country .
8- Preparing the second five- year economic and social development plan for the years 2001-2005 within a comprehensive strategy that targets realizing the most important developmental goals of :
– Elevating the continued upgrading of production and service sectors, establishing coordination and integration among the production, distribution and local and foreign marketing processes including the removal of all obstacles facing the export of local products.
– Converting the economic, financial and administrative reform process into a constant operation to regulate performance and treat any mistakes in economic and administrative conditions.
– Expanding the network of social security and related projects along with finding work opportunities to ease unemployment in a way that would expand the number of the beneficiaries especially the limited income groups.
– Encouraging investment and enabling the private sector to perform its role in the production process and to increase its contribution in boosting national economy. Drafting detailed studies and finding an informational data base that would help adopt investment decisions by businessmen.
– Paying concern to agriculture and working for drafting a strategy for food security in Yemen specially adopting a strict water policy and introducing modern irrigation systems.
– Encouraging farmers and directing them toward planting crops that would be exported or industrialized.
– Giving more importance to fisheries and protection of water wealth and marine environment against robbery and destruction. This should include passing legislation and endorsing strict observation to eliminate the random exploitation of fisheries.
– Developing investment in the fishing sector and linking it to the process of industrialization and organized export along with encouraging popular contribution in those processes.
– Executing the project of exploiting natural gas for purposes of liquefaction, export and energy generation in addition to using it in petrochemical, convertible industries and local consumption.
– Expanding the basis of investment and exploration of oil, mineral and construction materials including increasing field surveys and encouraging local cadres to work in this important and vital sector.
– Catering for local industries and establishing industrial areas. Creating a national industrial environment, entering a strategic partnership that would ensure the transfer appropriate technology, the use of local raw materials and encouraging small handicrafts.
– Finding the material necessities for converting tourism into a basic and important supporter to economic development and a source of foreign currency.
– Maintaining concern with establishing and modernizing communications and postal services in various areas of the republic in addition to organizing means of transport to sole problems of distribution, movement of goods and export of products.
– Increasing electricity generation and constructing distribution networks in addition to encouraging local and foreign private sector to invest in this sphere.
– Continuing the implementation of sewerage projects for main and secondary cities, paying more attention to cleanliness and environment along with spreading public awareness on this vital subject. Providing clean water for distant areas and providing stability factors for their inhabitants.
– Exerting constant efforts for the elevation of labor values, culture and production in addition to elevating the youths capabilities to indulge in private work and grant them facilities in various sectors.
– Supporting aspects of social development topped by rehabilitation programs for the handicapped and the elderly. Encouraging private cooperatives and paying concern to investing the pension and social security funds.
– Maintaining support to youth and supporting sportive activities and continuing the construction of sportive installations in all governorates.
– Consolidating informational endeavor and all its institutions to cope with the efforts for political, economic and cultural development in addition to endorsing its national unionist content. Paying concern to the information service broadcast to the foreign countries so at to reflect a true image of life in Yemen and to confront smear campaigns against our nation, democratic experience and developmental march by enemies of the country.
– Expanding cultural activities, arts and science with all its branches along with child culture, youth and family.
– Paying more attention to sermons and guidance to spread public awareness of the Islamic religions doctrines and values in addition to deepening the spirit of tolerance and national unity. Strict implementation of Waqf, preserving and protecting property of the Waqf and regulating the construction of mosques and maintaining their religious, educational and guidance role.
Third : Enhancing the role of Yemen in maintaining security, stability and peace in the region and the world at large in a way that boosts relations on the basis of common interest and mutual respect.
1- Asserting the principle of respecting national sovereignty of all countries and the non – interference in internal affairs along with rejecting the use of or threatening force in settling disputes. Respecting international laws, adopting the doctrine of dialogue understanding and peaceful and just solutions. Establishing a balance of interests and rights among nations and non- adoption of double dealings in international relations and concepts in addition to endorsing the doctrines of justice, peace, security and stability.
2- Working on a foreign policy that would bolster Yemens relations with sisterly countries in the Peninsula and Gulf in addition to promoting cooperation with them to establish an integrate relationship in all field.
3- Maintaining peaceful negotiations and fraternal dialogue to solve the border dispute with brothers in Saudi Arabia on the basis of no harm done to either party.
4- Keeping constant support to the Palestinian people to restore their full legitimate rights and backing all their options including the right to an independent state on national soil with Jerusalem as its capital. Realizing just and comprehensive peace in the region and aiding the struggle of the Syrian and Lebanese peoples for the liberation of heir occupied territories in addition to maintaining the call for restoring Arab solidarity and boosting the role of the Arab League. Regulating the convening of the Arab summits, exerting efforts towards a Pan – Arab conciliation to confront challenges and dangers against the Arab Nation and finding new methods to upgrade joint Arab action on all levels.
5- Bolstering relations with countries of the Horn of Africa and east Africa including sharing in finding peace and stability to its peoples to preserve safety and security of the Red Sea, protect its environment, coasts and natural resources. Finding means for regional cooperation among littoral countries of the Indian Ocean.
6- Strengthening cooperation relations among all Islamic countries including trade exchange and economic, technical and cultural cooperation. Boosting role of the Organization of Islamic Conference in support of just Islamic questions and enhancing dialogue among various religions in service of international peace.
7- Affirming Yemens principled stance in the rejection of violence and all forms of terrorism and all kinds of racial or religious discrimination.
8- Consolidating efforts for reforming the U.N., the security council and all affiliate bodies.
9- Supporting the call for increasing role of regional and international institutions working in the field of economic and social spheres and exerting efforts for the sake of benefitting from their activity in Yemens comprehensive development program.
10- Constant development of Yemens ties with sisterly and friendly countries especially those backing its development process in all fields.
11- Backing international efforts targeting combat of organized crime, drug, trafficking, contagious diseases and environment pollution in addition to backing efforts for the elimination of mass destruction weapons in a just manner away from double dealing or selection in execution of international resolutions.
12- Boosting the role of the non- aligned movement and elevating its performance to face new challenges facing the developing nations in addition to enhancing Yemens relations with all international governmental and non- governmental organizations concerned with human rights, protection of public freedoms and attaining justice and equality among peoples.
Ali Abdullah Saleh
The candidate of the Peoples General conference,
the Yemeni Congregation for Reform,
the National Council for the Opposition and
the candidate of the people and the nation
Together towards the 21 st century and the third millennium
To all Yemenis in various sectors and walks of life and all regions of the cherished homeland : we present to you this program for comprehensive development and continuous loyal action, for the sake of the nation and citizens and for the sake of security and economic progress.
We will engage together, through Ali Abdullah Saleh and this program, in the battle of construction, stability, civilizational renaissance and national unity. We will proceed along the road to preserve our dignity, defend our doctrines and values, ensure our democratic march and confront all challenges for the sake of building our modern state, that of constitutional institutions, law and order, and comprehensive development in all spheres.
With this program we elevate Yemen to its aspired for status among the world nations and cross into the 21 st century with stable steps to back up our country, Arab and Islamic nations causes and to support the peoples rights everywhere as an embodiment of our great Islamic beliefs and national doctrines.
To all Yemenis : we are called upon to give our confidence to Ali Abdullah Saleh as the candidate for presidency and leader of our unionist, democratic and developmental march for the upcoming period in a bid to preserve all the gains and accomplishments achieved in the past period.
So let us walk together along the road with solid and confident steps and illuminated minds and hearts guided by their belief in Allah and in their country along the paths of right, justice and peace.
We are confident that the national Yemeni program will be realized at the footsteps of the 21st century, the program for boosting the modern Yemeni state, national unity, democracy and development in their capacity as our means towards progress. Thus, it is the program of the whole nation and all the people.
Tell them to work for Allah, His messenger and the believers will witness their work. (From the Holy Quran).